A bold bread for BBQ…
Smoky and fiery, chipotle cornbread is one of those perfect spicy barbecue sides. Pair it with grilled steaks, ribs, or another hearty meat – particularly if they are a little spicy as well – and you have one bold meal in the making.
Feel free to experiment with the amount of chipotle powder and chili powder used. Adding more chipotle powder will increase the smokiness and (of course) the heat level. Adding more chili powder will provide a little more earthiness (due to the cumin and other spices in the mix) without a lot of added spiciness.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking pan (8" square works well) with parchment paper, then lightly butter the sides of the pan.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the sugar, chipotle powder, baking powder, chili powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the eggs, butter, and buttermilk. Whisk well until the eggs are thoroughly beaten.
- Transfer the dry ingredients into the egg mix and stir well.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and evenly spread out the batter.
- Place the baking pan in the oven and bake for approximately 20 to 25 minutes (or until the top of the cornbread is golden brown).
- Remove the cornbread from the oven and allow it to cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Cut the cornbread and serve.