Creamy with smoky heat…
Chipotle lime crema is a simple recipe – five ingredients and five minutes to complete. But don’t let the simplicity fool you. The chipotle pepper and adobo sauce behind this sauce brings a delicious smoky fieriness to the crema, that – paired with the fresh flavor of lime – makes it a perfect topping for tacos (both fish tacos and beef work here), soups, and salads alike. It’s also a simple, yet delicious dipper for chips and vegetables.
Try it, too, as a sandwich spread, but we actually prefer our creamy chipotle sauce recipe a little more for this use case. It uses mayonnaise as a base (instead of sour cream or greek yogurt like the crema here) which provides a delicious tang to meats and vegetables.
Chipotle Lime Crema
- 1/2 cup sour cream or greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon chipotle pepper mashed into a paste, from chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon adobo sauce from chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- Juice of one lime or 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine the sour cream (or greek yogurt), mashed chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, lime juice, and salt in a mixing bowl. Mix well.
- use immediately, or for the best flavor place the crema in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours to allow the flavors to meld.
To mash the chipotle peppers, use a mortar and pestle. Alternatively, a fork or the round side of a spoon will work (with some extra muscle and time).
Did you make this?Mention @PepperScale or tag #PepperScale so we can see what you made!