A perfect tangy, smoky, and spicy treat…
There are all sorts of options for spicy popcorn (see our sweet and spicy popcorn here or try your hand at Sriracha popcorn too), but perhaps our favorite of all is chipotle lime popcorn. It’s that mix of smoky, tangy, and spicy – totally bold and flavorful. This is snacking heaven for those who love the smoky flavors on the pepper scale.
Chipotle pepper is simply dried and smoked jalapeño pepper, so expect a jalapeño pepper level spiciness. You can adjust the amount used to increase or decrease the heat, but note you’ll lose the smokiness as well. One option for something smoky yet mild is to substitute in ancho pepper powder. It’s half the heat of a mildest jalapeño, so most everyone can enjoy.
Chipotle Lime Popcorn
- 6 tablespoons popping corn unpopped
- Juice of 1 lime approximately 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- In a small mixing bowl, mix the chipotle powder and lime juice until fully combined. Set to the side.
- Over medium heat, warm a frying pan, then add the popping corn kernels. Cover the pan.
- Continue heating the popcorn covered, shaking the pan every twenty seconds until the corn starts popping, then shake the pan every 5 seconds until the popping slows.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour the popcorn into a large bowl.
- Pour the chipotle lime juice over the popcorn and toss to coat the popcorn. Serve.
Looking for a milder alternative? Try using ancho powder instead of chipotle. It has a smoky sweetness that can pair well with the lime, with much less spiciness.
Did you make this?Mention @PepperScale or tag #PepperScale so we can see what you made!