Rich, thick, and flavorful…
As a “feel-good” meal, spicy black bean soup checks a whole lot of boxes. It’s thick, full of flavor, and filling.This recipe adds a slight smoky twist, too, which provides a touch more rustic flavor to the dish. The heat is not only provided by jalapeño peppers, but also chipotle powder, adding a nice hint of smoke with every bite. Top with jalapeño rings and/or sour cream and the soup looks nearly as good as it tastes!
Smoky and Spicy Black Bean Soup
- 6 cans black beans 14.5 ounce cans
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 5 jalapeño peppers 4 seeded and minced, plus 1 cut into wheels for garnish
- 2 yellow onions diced
- 1 shallot minced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- Sour cream optional topping
- In a large soup pot, add the olive oil (and spread it evenly), jalapeño peppers, onions, shallot, and garlic. Cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add in the cumin, chipotle powder, pepper, and oregano. Stir to combine and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the black beans, then the chicken broth and raise the heat to high. Bring the soup to a boil, then lower heat to simmer. Allow the soup to simmer for 45 minutes to thicken slightly.
- Move half of the soup (approximately 5 cups) into a blender and blend until smooth. Then pour the blended soup back into the soup pot.
- Remove from heat and serve with jalapeño rings and/or sour cream.
Did you make this?Mention @PepperScale or tag #PepperScale so we can see what you made!
Photo by TheDeliciousLife CC 2.0
made it with a third of the ingredients and it was awesome! Even the 5yo wanted his own bowl with sour cream in it…advice, watch the salt!
Sounds great, would be easy to add chicken, pork…..
looking forward to try this.