Packed with flavor…
Why do we love spicy chicken tortilla soup? It’s not just the spice. No, it’s the everythingness. So much flavor packed into one simple bowl. It’s like the eating experience of seven layer dip – flavor upon flavor, texture upon texture – but in soup form.
It’s a fun recipe to experiment with, too. Add your own unique toppings, or try additional ingredients in the soup itself. Cayenne pepper provides the heat. Up the amount if you’re craving more.
Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 3 cans chicken broth 14 ounce cans
- 2 cups cooked chicken chopped
- 1 can diced tomato 15 ounce can
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 clove garlic diced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tortilla chips
- Pepper Jack cheese optional
- Avocado slices optional
- Sour cream optional
- In a pan over medium heat, sauté the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent and the garlic is slightly brown.
- Transfer the onions and garlic into a soup pot and add the chicken broth, cooked chicken, diced tomato (with liquid), corn, vegetable oil,cayenne pepper powder, basil leaves, and cilantro. Bring the mix to a quick boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls, then garnish with tortilla chip strips (or crushed tortillas), Pepper Jack cheese, avocado slices, and/or sour cream.
Did you make this?Mention @PepperScale or tag #PepperScale so we can see what you made!