Fiery feel good…
The grilled cheese is the epitome of feel-good comfort food, and it’s also one of the most fun meals to riff on because it’s so easy to make. A little chopped jalapeño pepper, onion, and tomato go a long way to turning the basic into a true fiery feel-good experience.
If you want it even spicier (we say, “yes please”), try picking up some serrano peppers as a jalapeño substitute in the recipe. They provide a comparable flavor profile with double the heat.
Spicy Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeño pepper roughly chopped
- 1 vine ripened tomato sliced
- 1/4 onion roughly chopped
- Butter one side of each piece of bread.
- Heat a skillet or pan over low heat, then lay two of the bread slices (butter side down) into the pan. On each bread slice, place 2 slices of cheddar cheese and 2 tomato slices, then top with jalapeño and onion.
- Place the two other bread slices on top of the sandwiches, butter side up.
- Continue to grill the sandwich until the bottom side is a golden brown, then flip the sandwich. Continue to grill until the other side is a golden brown as well.
- Remove the sandwiches from the grill, cut in half, and serve.
Want it spicier? Try serrano peppers instead of jalapeños. Serranos are typically double the spiciness, so approach with care.
Did you make this?Mention @PepperScale or tag #PepperScale so we can see what you made!