Looking for a little more zip in your homemade hot sauce? You’ve come to the right place with this basic habanero hot sauce recipe. These chilies pack a significant punch, so proceed with care. But for those that can handle the heat, you have a very tasty sauce here.
Carrots and onions are the base ingredients, providing a delicious earthy sweetness. And that pairs nicely against the bold spiciness and natural sweetness of habanero. But there’s a nice touch of tang here with the lime juice (and of course, the vinegar). That taste gives this fiery condiment a decent amount of versatility – from chicken wings to tacos and more.
And even better – it’s super simple to make and takes little time at all to pull together. All-in, we’re talking 30 minutes from start to finish. It’s a terrific staple sauce to have around the house for when your taste buds are craving something more.
This recipe is not a canning recipe. So if you’re looking to preserve your habanero sauce, know it’ll last a few weeks in the refrigerator when kept in an airtight container.
See it being made:
Like this hot sauce? You’ll like these too:
- Basic Jalapeño Hot Sauce: Looking for a less spicy hot sauce to experiment with? Our basic jalapeño version has a low-medium heat.
- Homemade Louisiana Hot Sauce: Try making the famous dasher sauce at home! It’s just three ingredients.
- Garlic Habanero Hot Sauce: This hot sauce leans into heat and pungency. There’s real bite here.
Basic Habanero Hot Sauce Recipe
- Heat the olive oil in a sauce pan and sauté the minced carrots for five minutes.
- Add the garlic and onions to the carrots, and sauté until the vegetables are soft (about five minutes).
- Place the sautéd vegetables in a food processor, along with the water and habanero peppers. Process the ingredients until smooth.
- Add the lime juice and white vinegar. Pulse two to three times to combine the ingredients.
- Pour the sauce back into the sauce pan over low heat. Let the sauce simmer for five minutes.
- Take sauce pan off the heat and let the sauce cool to room temperature.
- Bottle and refrigerate.