Aromatic and flavorful? Check. Spicy? Triple check. Habanero bitters take no prisoners, so use with care. It’s high-heat habanero fruitiness mixed with the big flavors of molasses, allspice, and cloves. A dash or two may be all your cocktail needs to spice it to sun-like life.
Habaneros work here, but so will any of the chili’s cousins. Scotch bonnet, datil, or fatalii peppers are just a few primed for use in this spicy bitters recipe. As with any high-heat chili pepper, be sure to use gloves when creating this recipe. Habanero chili burn is nothing to trifle with. If you don’t know how to treat chili burn, read our article on it prior to handling.
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Smoky Mole Bitters: Another delicious take on bitters, this time a lot less spicy with plenty of smokiness.
- Habanero Simple Syrup: If your drink calls for simply syrup, this is another perfect way to add heat.
- Jalapeño Simple Syrup: Habaneros too fiery? We take it down more than a few notches with this tasty jalapeño version.
- Add the habanero peppers, limes, allspice, molasses, and cinchona bark powder to a sealable glass jar, then pour the Absolut 100 over top. Seal the jar and give it a swirl or light shake to mix the ingredients.
- Allow the mix to steep for 10 to 14 days, lightly shaking the mix once a day.
- Strain the liquid through a filter, then pour the liquid into either dasher bottles or dropper bottles.
- Enjoy a drop or two at a time!