A little zing with a fruity spice, these jalapeño and lime chicken skewers are perfect for the bbq, oven, or grill. Baked (how we provided the instructions below), they’re a delicious light lunch. Everything can be prepped prior and refrigerated, making this recipe a perfect candidate for weekend cooking for lunches throughout the week. And, of course, that ability to prep and hold makes this recipe excellent for parties, too.
We use two green jalapeños here and, since they are simply chopped and placed in the marinade, only provide a milder heat. Still, if “too spicy” is a concern, you can simply cut back on the jalapeño used. For a spicier skewer, considering swapping out your chili used to a serrano pepper instead. They are typically double the heat of a jalapeño.
Serve with rice, fries or baked potato, and/or your favorite hot sauce. And eat immediately for the best flavor. If you do want to reheat these, remove the skewers before placing in the microwave for a minute or two. The chicken, onion, and pepper, then, can be placed atop rice.
Like skewers? You’ll love these recipes too:
- Spicy Lamb Kabobs With Mixed Vegetables: We skewer the lamb and veggies separately. Both habanero and piri piri pepper are in play here.
- Beef Churrasco With Chimichurri And Flatbreads: Serrano and cayenne chilies add heat to this boldly spiced beef skewer recipe.
- Chicken Satay With Peanut Sauce: A staple skewer, and for good reason. The combo of grilled chicken and peanut sauce is so delicious.
Jalapeño And Lime Chicken Skewers
- 8 Skewers
Marinating the chicken
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cube the chicken into large chunks then place the cubes in a glass bowl.
- Add the crushed garlic to the bowl, along with the olive oil and chopped jalapeño peppers.
- Add the salt, pepper, and lime juice to the bowl then stir to thoroughly combine.
- Refrigerate the chicken in an airtight container until you're ready to cook. At least two hours is recommended to allow the chicken to take in the flavors and heat.
Prepping and cooking the skewers
- Skewer the cubed chicken, onion, and bell pepper, alternating order as preferred.
- Place the completed skewers onto a baking sheet, then place the baking sheet into the pre-heated oven. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the skewers from the oven and serve immediately.