Talk about a drink that will make you feel like you’re relaxing in the summer sun. This spicy gin and orange cocktail is a delicious complement to warm days (and a terrific reminder of summer days to come during the chillier months!).
This recipe allows you to choose your favorite chili pepper and each will offer up a slightly different take on the drink based on their overall heat and flavor profile. Habanero peppers are an excellent choice for their kick and fruity sweet flavor. The heat and flavor are understated in the simple syrup, so don’t be afraid of choosing a pepper a little above your typical heat preference.
Grapefruit gives our spicy gin and orange cocktail an extra taste dimension. The bitter fruitiness is quite tasty here, but this is completely optional depending on your tastes. The sugar-rimmed glass, too, adds extra spice and sweetness. We suggest you don’t skip either to get the full impact of this cocktail.
See it being made:
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Habanero Simple Syrup: A stand-alone recipe for making a similar fiery simple syrup as here.
- Spicy Mixed Nuts: Looking for a cocktail appetizer? Spicy mixed nuts are always a favorite.
- Spicy Paloma Cocktail: Think margarita but with grapefruit juice and you’re on the right track for the flavor of this drink.
Spicy Gin And Orange Cocktail
Make the spicy simple syrup
- Place a small saucepan over medium heat and add 1 cup of sugar and the water.
- Halve your chosen chili peppers and place in the pan with the mixture.
- Allow the mix to come to a simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally to help dissolve the sugar. Once thickened, remove the simple syrup from the heat.
Juice the fruit
- Halve the lemon and slice two thin slices from the halves to use as garnish.
- Squeeze the remainder of the lemon and place the juice in a jar.
- Cut and squeeze the oranges and grapefruit (optional) into the jar. Mix the juice to combine.
Make the drink
- Dip the top rim of each glass into the spicy simple syrup then into the remaining sugar to create a sweet and spicy rim.
- Add ice to each glass then pour over a tablespoon of the spicy syrup and one ounce of gin.
- Pour over the desired amount of fruit juice and stir lightly.
- Garnish with one of the lemon slices (cut a slit to the middle to hang on the glass) and enjoy!