If you’re looking to cut back on bread, these low-carb, bacon-wrapped jalapeño pigs in blankets are as perfect as a side dish as they are a snack. And as a “make everyone smile” finger food for friendly gatherings or game day, it’s a real winner. It’s that mix of crunch, salty meat, and spiciness that just can’t be beat. All with very little in the carbs department.
While “jalapeño” is in the name of this recipe, you’re not limited to using jalapeño pepper for your pigs in a blanket. You can go milder or spicier. For instance, serrano peppers would be an excellent next step up the scale if you’re looking for a heat bump. Or, take a walk on the wild side and slice a bird’s eye chili in half and add one on each side of the cocktail sausages before wrapping in bacon. This will be sure to set your mouth alight. Or you can make it milder by using some padron peppers in place of the jalapeño.
Jalapeño pigs in blankets is a great recipe for when you need extended party prep, too. You can make them ahead of time. Simply prepare the sausages until the cooking stage and then store in foil in the refrigerator until ready to enjoy. Then transfer them into the preheated oven.
See this recipe being made:
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Cream Cheese Jalapeño Poppers: A classic appetizer that’ll make everyone happy.
- Sausage-Stuffed Jalapeño Peppers: Another take on sausage and chilies that’s chock full of flavor.
- Jalapeño Popper Chicken Soup: All the things you love from poppers in a delicious and hearty soup.
Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Pigs in Blankets
- 3 fresh jalapeño chilies
- 12 chipolata sausages
- 6 rashers bacon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice the bacon in half so that you have slim bacon slices (enough to make 12 pigs in blankets.)
- Cut the jalapeño peppers lengthwise into 4 long sections. Remove all seeds.
- Take a sausage and place it against a slice of jalapeño pepper, then wrap the bacon around both.
- Lay all the pigs in blankets on a baking tray and place in a preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately.