Pebre sauce is sort of like the pico de gallo for Chilean barbecue – a simple fresh salsa with a ton of flavor. It’s delicious with grilled meats, whether beef steak, chicken, or pork. Or serve it atop toasted bread for a quick-to-make, yet surprisingly flavorful appetizer or as a side to tortilla chips instead of your everyday salsa. Its simplicity makes this a real go-to well beyond its Chilean roots.
The heat in this recipe comes from jalapeño peppers, so there’s a decent, yet still family friendly, sizzle here. Though feel free to adjust the chili pepper used. Serrano peppers can provide a nice heat uptick while a poblano or Anaheim pepper can turn down the sizzle.
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Maple Sriracha Sauce: The rooster sauce and maple syrup combine into one delicious dipping sauce.
- Homemade Hoisin Sauce: Great for Asian food, but don’t overlook this recipe for BBQ.
- Ajvar Sauce: Sweet, tangy, and smoky – delicious on sandwiches or as a dip.
Shop Our Spicery On Etsy
Jalapeño and Chipotle "Yin and Yang" Set
Two sides to the jalapeño are featured in this spice set. Ground green is bright and grassy and around chipotle is smoky and earthy. The two, together, have you covered for a lot of uses in the kitchen. 100% chilies, no additives.Buy Now
Support PepperScale by purchasing our fiery spices. Subscribers get 15% off!
Chilean Pebre Sauce
Delicious with grilled meats or as a dipper
- 1 large tomato seeded and chopped (approximately 1 to 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 jalapeño pepper diced
- 1 scallion chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 bunch cilantro leaves chopped (approximately 1/4 cup unpacked)
- Pinch salt more to flavor
- Pinch black pepper more to flavor
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and stir to combine. Use immediately.
The olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper can be adjusted to taste once combined. If you prefer a salsa with a little more liquid without the extra tang of vinegar, add small amounts of water to get to your desired consistency.
Calories: 27kcalCarbohydrates: 2gProtein: 0.4gFat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0.3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.2gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 3mgPotassium: 96mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 358IUVitamin C: 9mgCalcium: 7mgIron: 0.2mg
Did you make this?Mention @PepperScale or tag #PepperScale so we can see what you made!
Thanks for the recipe.