These chili and rosemary bread balls are a delicious alternative to bread rolls, and perfect as a side for pasta, soups, and red meats. The heat comes from serrano pepper in this recipe (medium-heat, 10,000 to 23,000 Scoville heat units), but you could opt to use jalapeño pepper here, too, for more of a low-medium spiciness (2,500 to 8,000 SHU).
These aromatic and spicy bread balls are even better when served with a side of garlic butter. Simply melt some butter and add crushed garlic. Serve it on the side of these chili and rosemary bread balls, or drizzle it atop.
The bread is best served immediately, but you can use them the next day by simply placing them in the oven for a few minutes before serving.
See chili and rosemary bread balls being made:
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Bunny Chow: This is delicious South African hand-held food – fiery and rich curry served in hollowed-out bread.
- Chili Chocolate Bread: A tasty dessert bread that’s also perfect as a breakfast treat.
- Easy Jalapeño Cornbread Muffins: Great for summer parties.
Shop Our Spicery On Etsy
Jalapeño and Chipotle "Yin and Yang" Set
Explore two side to the jalapeño in this spice set! Ground green is bright and grassy, while ground chipotle is earthy and smoky. Together, they have you covered for many culinary needs. 100% chilies, no additives.Buy Now
Support PepperScale by purchasing our fiery spices. Subscribers get 15% off!
Chili and Rosemary Bread Balls
Aromatic and fiery, delicious with soup, pasta, and red meats
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the flour to a large mixing bowl.
- Make space in the middle of the flour and add the salt, yeast, sugar, and warm water. Combine until a sticky dough is formed.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Then knead the dough for 10 minutes.
- Allow the dough to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Add the finely chopped serrano chili, then knead the dough again for 2 minutes.
- Split into approximately 18 large balls or 24 smaller ones.
- Place on a non-stick baking tray, then add a few rosemary leaves to each one.
- Cook in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until turning slightly golden. Monitor the bread closely as the bread balls can be browned earlier than this timing.
- Perfect served with some garlic butter.
Calories: 130kcalCarbohydrates: 26gProtein: 4gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0.1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.3gMonounsaturated Fat: 0.1gSodium: 132mgPotassium: 42mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 4IUVitamin C: 0.2mgCalcium: 7mgIron: 0.3mg
Did you make this?Mention @PepperScale or tag #PepperScale so we can see what you made!