Are you a spicy food fan and a chocolate chip cookie purist? These fiery cookies are right up your alley. Nothing fancy, just vanilla-rich cookie dough, delicious chocolate chips (and lots of them), and the big sweet heat of habanero pepper. It’s a whole lot of flavor in a simple package.
If you want things even hotter, you have a few options. You could double-down on the habanero (100,000 to 350,000 Scoville heat units), but that will really bring the heat. A potentially better option is to introduce a touch of cayenne pepper powder to the mix. Cayenne pepper is at minimum half the heat of a habanero (30,000 to 50,000 SHU). So adding just a touch will incrementally increase the spiciness. Plus cayenne is rather neutral in overall flavor, so it’s mainly a heat source.
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Chipotle Chocolate Chip Cookies: Earthy and a touch smoky, these are something special.
- Spicy Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies: All sorts of spices here that deliver a total feel-good treat.
- Spicy Ginger Snaps: Both warmth and heat in here, ginger and chilies really deliver a whammy on flavor.
Fiery Chocolate Chip Habanero Cookies
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Soften the butter, then in a large mixing bowl combine the butter and oil.
- Add in the habanero, brown sugar, regular sugar, egg, and vanilla. Mix until fully combined.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt then add it to the butter mix. Stir to combine.
- Add the chocolate chips and continue to mix thoroughly.
- Spoon out the cookie dough onto an oiled cookie sheet, then bake the cookies for approximately 10 minutes or until the cookies are a golden brown.
- Let cookies rest for 3 to 5 minutes after baking on a rack, then serve.