Add some spicy zip to hamburgers and hot dogs…
Turn a typical barbecue into something with a lot more spice by upgrading those condiments. This basic jalapeño relish puts the “HOT” in hot dog, and it tastes incredible on burgers too. It’s a refreshing mix of spice and fresh pop (from the cilantro). So heat up that grill and that
Looking for more heat? Try upping the ante in this basic jalapeño relish by swapping in serrano peppers for the jalapeño. They can be over twice the heat. Or take a look at our extra-hot basic habanero relish – it’ll knock your socks off. Note, it’s a big jump from jalapeño to habanero, so consider upgrading to serrano before making the leap.
And if you’re looking for more spicy condiments, we have you covered in our spicy recipe index. It features plenty of ways to spice up your burgers, fries, and more. We are huge fans of this Bloody Mary ketchup for one. It’s a fun and (doubly) spicy mix of horseradish and Tabasco sauce. Or, if you’re looking for something with a little more earthy tang, our homemade habanero mustard brings it, along with plenty (and we mean plenty) of heat.
Basic Jalapeño Relish
- 12 jalapeño peppers seeds removed
- 1 tomato sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 onion coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash cumin
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until the mix is minced to a relish texture. Your option – it can be more coarse or fine based on your eating preference.
- Use immediately, or for best flavor refrigerate the relish for 1 to 2 hours prior to use to allow the flavors to meld. Allowing it to rest (refrigerated) overnight can also maximize its spiciness.