A perfect Chesapeake snack…
Sure, you can opt for the packaged options, but for us do-it-yourselfers in the kitchen, making it from scratch is so much fun. There’s a delicious simmering heat to Old Bay which we just love, so simple recipes like this homemade Old Bay sunflower seed recipe are right up our alley. It’s quick to make, and there’s that spicy seasoned Maryland crab seasoning flavor that makes you sit up and take notice. To us, it’s a perfect snack – simple, crunchy, a little heat, and a whole lot of spice. Oh, and let’s not forget healthier than most.
Old Bay Sunflower Seeds
- Plain sunflower seeds non-salted
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup Old Bay seasoning
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place sunflower seeds in a mixing bowl and add water. Drain the water leaving only damp seeds.
- Add the Old Bay seasoning to the mixing bowl and stir to fully cover the seeds.
- Spread the Old Bay coated seeds onto a foil-covered baking sheet, then place in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow the seeds to cool to room temperature (approximately 5 minutes).
- Enjoy as a snack any time!
If you have salted sunflower seeds, rinse them thoroughly during the water portion of the process. It's best to remove the salt coating since Old Bay is already salty by nature.
Did you make this?Mention @PepperScale or tag #PepperScale so we can see what you made!