Smooth and creamy with just a hint of spice — that’s what makes this pumpkin spiced latte recipe a hit with anyone who tries it. It’s the kind of beverage that warms you right up and just gets you into the holiday mood.
Pumpkin puree may seem like a strange ingredient to add to a coffee beverage, but trust me (and the gourmet coffee shops) here. The flavor is not a strong, but it’s earthy and sweet. It has the taste of fall which puts this into the class of “comfort food” in my book.
Cayenne pepper provides the spiciness in the drink, and it’s easy to adjust the amount. Feel free to use less (or more) based on your heat tolerance. Cinnamon, too, is here — it’s not spicy, but it certainly adds to the warming feeling that this pumpkin spiced latte delivers in spades.
Espresso is the coffee of choice. If you have a milk frother the entire beverage will be even more delicious. But, if you don’t, try shaking the milk in the carton before heating, or in a glass jar after heating, to create some natural froth. Yes, it’s not the same, but it’s better than nothing.
The latte should be enjoyed immediately — please do not try and reheat or drink later. The ingredients will separate and the result will be less than desirable, to put it nicely.
Pumpkin Spiced Latte
- 2 shots espresso or bold coffee
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin puree
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 cup hot milk frothy if you can
- ½ cup boiling water
- Brew your espresso or coffee and prepare 2 long glasses or mugs
- Place the coffee, pumpkin puree, cayenne pepper powder, and cinnamon into a blender and turn on low for 30 seconds.
- Pour the coffee mixture between 2 glasses and add the boiling water.
- Top up with hot milk (froth if you can), sprinkle with cinnamon, and serve immediately.