If you want the warmth of hot chocolate with a little spicy buzz, you can opt for our traditional spicy cocoa (see the recipe here – it’s simple and plenty delicious) or lean into awesome with this Aztec hot chocolate with smoky chipotle powder.
There are so many good things here. Chocolate is, of course, the star, but espresso powder provides an earthy pick-me-up and the chipotle pepper adds layers of both smoke and spice. We love topping this Aztec cocoa with an added sprinkle of chipotle powder (it adds a little extra heat right with the first sip).
The recipe here makes a ton due to the use of the muffin pan (12 chocolate disks are created). But that doesn’t mean you need to make 12 servings now. You can freeze the extra chocolate disks and use only a portion of the milk to make enough servings for your current need.
See Aztec hot chocolate being made:
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Spicy Hot Chocolate: Another take on this fiery warming treat.
- Cayenne-Spiced Eggnog: A classic holiday season recipe made bold.
- Fiery Apple Cider: Apples and chili peppers are an unsung duo.
Aztec Hot Chocolate (With Smoky Chipotle)
- 9 cups whole milk or 3/4 cup per serving needed
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder plus extra for topping (optional)
- Pinch salt
- Whipped cream optional, for topping
- Line a muffin pan (12 muffin spaces) with baking cups, then set to the side.
- In a glass bowl, combine the semisweet chocolate chips, heavy whipping cream, instant espresso powder, chipotle powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Microwave the mix for 3 minutes (or until smooth), stirring half way through.
- Pour the chocolate mix evenly into the baking cups and place the muffin pan into the freezer. Allow the chocolate to freeze (2 to 3 hours). At this point, you can remove the baking cups from the pan and place them in a freezer bag (you will have extra for future servings if less than 12 servings needed).
- Take four the chocolate baking cups and remove the paper. Place the chocolate disks into microwave-safe mugs (one per mug).
- Pour the milk over the chocolate, then microwave the mug for 2 minutes, stirring once at the 1 minute mark.
- Top with whipped cream (optional), sprinkle with additional chipotle powder (optional), and serve.
I had to make this immediately. Doubled the chipotle powder. Delicious!!!