Bring fiery sweet to meat…
Pairing brown sugar rubs with red meats is always a very good idea. The richness of the meat pairs very well with the earthy sweetness of the sugar. Plus the sugar acts as a tenderizer making that steak even more juicy.
But why stop there? This spicy brown sugar rub leans into smoky heat, too, brought to you by the ever-popular chipotle powder. Add in some paprika and earthy chili powder and you have a real flavor-packed rub.Steak is where this rub shines, but it works too on other red meats, pork, and chicken.
Spicy Brown Sugar Rub
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika or smoked paprika for additional smokiness
- 2 teaspoons chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine all the spices in a mixing bowl. Stir to evenly combine.
- Use immediately as a barbecue rub or store in an airtight container for future barbecue use.
For best flavor, allow the rub to set on the meat for 6 to 8 hours. Prepping the meat the night before and allowing it to refrigerate overnight is a perfect amount of time. Smoked paprika can be substituted in for generic paprika. This rub is already smoky due to the addition of chipotle powder, so only use this option if you want to lean into smokiness.
Did you make this?Mention @PepperScale or tag #PepperScale so we can see what you made!