Pairing brown sugar rubs with red meats is always a very good idea. The richness of the meat pairs very well with the earthy sweetness of the sugar. Plus the sugar acts as a tenderizer, making that steak even more juicy. This spicy brown sugar rub does all that and a whole lot more. This is a dry rub recipe chock full of flavor.
But why stop there? This spicy brown sugar rub leans into smoky heat, too, brought to you by the ever-popular chipotle powder. Add in some paprika and earthy chili powder and you have a real flavor-packed rub. Steak is where this rub shines, but it works just as well on other red meats, ribs, pork, and chicken.
For the best flavor: After prepping the meat with the spice mixture, allow the flavors to meld for six to eight hours prior to grilling. Coat the meat, then place in the refrigerator overnight.
If you’re looking for low sodium spice blends, you can also lessen it to just a pinch or even remove the salt entirely from this recipe. It’s not quite as flavorful, but there’s still plenty going on among the other ingredients.
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Ancho Coffee Rub: Here’s a milder rub – but just as flavorful: earthy with a delicious coffee undertone.
- Chipotle Taco Seasoning: Like your Tex-Mex with a little smokiness? This recipe is for you.
- Homemade Sriracha Powder: Turn this hot sauce favorite into a delicious dry rub!
Spicy Brown Sugar Rub
- Combine all the spices in a mixing bowl. Stir to evenly combine.
- Use immediately as a barbecue rub or store in an airtight container for future barbecue use.