There’s a real depth to the flavor of an ancho coffee rub. Espresso provides a rich, earthy, and deliciously bitter base. And the ancho powder doubles down on the earthiness, with undertones of smoky and sweet. Plus, there are hints of garlic and mustard beneath the surface, too.
And for those looking for a family-friendly dry rub with a bold flavor and little spiciness, there’s good news. There’s only a simmer of heat here. Anchos are the dried form of the mild poblano pepper (at a minimum one half the heat of a jalapeño pepper), so everyone in the family can enjoy this BBQ rub. It’s equally delicious with steaks and pork.
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Sriracha Powder: Turn the popular hot sauce into a delicious seasoning blend.
- Chipotle Cinnamon Rub: Another delicious dry rub for steaks – here a bit spicier and smokier.
- Chili Lime Seasoning: Great on pork and chicken both.
Ancho Powder (from our Spicery)
Ancho powder provides a delicious earthy sweet flavor with only a mild heat (1,000 to 1,500 Scoville heat units.) It's a must for our ancho coffee rub recipe.Buy Now
Support PepperScale by purchasing our fiery spices. Subscribers get 15% off!
Ancho Coffee Rub
Earthy and smoky, with mild heat
- 2 tablespoons ground espresso
- 2 tablespoons ancho powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Use immediately as a rub for steaks and pork, coating the raw meat with the dry rub prior to cooking.
Feel free to increase or decrease the amount of espresso coffee and ancho powder used. More espresso will give the rub a more earthy, rich flavor. More ancho powder will increase the smoky undertones and the heat (though it’s still a very mild chili pepper, so any increase won’t overwhelm in spiciness).
Calories: 19kcalCarbohydrates: 3gProtein: 1gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0.1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.4gMonounsaturated Fat: 0.3gSodium: 648mgPotassium: 104mgFiber: 2gSugar: 0.3gVitamin A: 1189IUVitamin C: 0.2mgCalcium: 21mgIron: 1mg
Did you make this?Mention @PepperScale or tag #PepperScale so we can see what you made!