We’re not going to mess with a classic too much. This spicy Italian tapenade is made with the same delicious ingredients you’d find in a traditional recipe — olives, garlic, parsley, sundried tomatoes. But we’ve added a most certain kick of heat to this recipe. We use red serrano peppers here. But if their bright bite is a little too spicy, you could opt for the milder jalapeño pepper instead.
And you can play with the texture to your liking. Spicy Italian tapenade can be made smooth (like a paste) for use as a spread. Or it can be left chunky to be enjoyed as a fun-to-eat dip. There are so many ways to enjoy it. Spread it on toasted bread, sprinkle it atop a salad, or smother it on top of some baked white fish. And, of course, it’s an excellent dipping sauce to accompany crackers and sliced raw vegetables.
This recipe is best enjoyed immediately — the flavors are at their most intense. But you can store it for up to three days, refrigerated in an airtight container. That’s perfect if you’re planning for a party or simply want to enjoy this recipe over a long weekend.
Spicy Italian Tapenade
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup black olives
- ¼ cup parsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 serrano pepper seeds removed, chopped
- 2 sundried tomatoes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the garlic clove onto a small tray and bake for 20 minutes.
- Add the olives, parsley, lemon juice, sundried tomatoes, roasted garlic, and chili pepper to a food processor and turn on high. Stop regularly to push down the sides. Process to your preferred consistency.
- Add the olive oil and stir thoroughly with a spoon.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy with crackers, veggie sticks, or as a sauce or topping.