Looking for a vegetarian chili substitute to all the meat chilies out there? Spicy black bean mushroom chili is one of our all-time slow cooker favorites. The mushrooms are a perfect meat alternative, giving the chili just enough thickness. Plus, they soak in those spices making every bite totally flavorful.
The heat in this dish comes from chili powder and chipotle in adobo sauce. You can adjust those two ingredients to make a milder or hotter experience. It tastes great right away, but for optimal heat, let the chili cool at room temperature and then rest overnight in the refrigerator. It’ll thicken and the spices really come alive the next day.
Looking for a meat-based spicy chili? Take a look at our sweet and spicy chili recipe. Brown sugar and piquillo peppers star.
Spicy Black Bean Mushroom Chili
- 5 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cans black beans 15 ounce cans, rinsed thoroughly
- 1 pound crimini mushrooms or baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 4 tomatillos husked, rinsed, and chopped
- 2 white onions chopped
- 1 1/4 cups grated Mexican or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 can tomato paste 6 ounce can
- 1/4 cup mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder top end for more heat
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chipotle peppers in adobo sauce minced, top end for more heat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 limes wedged
- In a Dutch oven, combine the oil, chili powder, cardamom, mustard seeds, and cumin. Heat the oil and spices on high for 30-seconds, stirring constantly.
- When spices start to sizzle, add the water, chopped tomatillos, chopped onions, and sliced mushrooms. Cover the Dutch oven and cook the mix for 5 to 7 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Uncover Dutch oven and stir the mix often until much of the liquid in the oven evaporates. This typically takes 10 to 15 minutes.
- Mix in the vegetable broth along with the minced chipotle and tomato paste.
- Place the rinsed black beans in a 5-quart slow cooker and pour the vegetable mix over top. Stir to mix them together.
- Cover and slow cook on high for 5 to 8 hours.
- Use cheese, sour cream, and lime as garnish.