Like your BBQ sauces on the fruitier side? Go all in with this delicious blueberry chipotle BBQ sauce! With its purply hue, it looks as good as it tastes: that sweet and earthy berry taste is paired with honey and brown sugar to bring out that sweetness even more. And the chipotle peppers act as a smoky (and certainly fiery) foil to the sweet taste. Sweet and heat always pair well, but there’s something about the blueberry/chipotle combo that’s really special. Each has an earthiness that pairs so well together.
Use blueberry chipotle BBQ sauce as a marinade with pork or chicken. It’s a great recipe to change things up during BBQ season. Or try it as a dipping sauce. It’s a perfect combo with chicken skewers and chicken tenders. In fact, that sweet heat is excellent with salty and fried meats.
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Smoky Espresso BBQ Sauce: This recipe pairs rich coffee flavor and adobo sauce with smoky chipotle for one memorable marinade.
- Ancho BBQ Sauce: A milder twist on the classic for a spicy BBQ night.
- Cherry Habanero BBQ Sauce: Want your barbecued meats to have sun-like heat with some cherry tang? This recipe is for you.
Blueberry Chipotle BBQ Sauce
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, add the blueberries, honey, and water. Cook the mix, stirring often, until the blueberries begin to soften and burst (approximately 10 minutes).
- Transfer the blueberries to a high-sided pot. Using a food processor, process the blueberries until smooth (or until they reach your desired consistency for the BBQ sauce).
- Add the ketchup, molasses, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, chipotle peppers and adobo sauce, liquid smoke, and salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Taste the sauce and add additional salt, pepper, or chipotle pepper (for a hotter sauce) to taste.