One bold BBQ sauce…
There’s a lot of delicious earthy flavors in this smoky espresso BBQ sauce. Obviously the espresso is the named star, but the smokiness here is delivered by one of our favorite chilies: chipotle pepper. Chipotle (smoked, dried jalapeños) has a deep, spicy smokiness that is just pure yum with rich earthy flavors like espresso or cocoa.
Try this BBQ sauce with pork and beef. It works best with these richer meat meats. With grilled chicken, it tends to overpower the flavor of the white meat.
Like this recipe? You’ll love these BBQ sauces too:
- Cherry Habanero: A much bigger heat, with a delicious cherry sweet-tang.
- Mango Chipotle: Tropically sweet and smoky.
- Candied Jalapeño: We use delicious cowboy candy (candied jalapeños) and pair with the earthy sweetness of molasses.
Shop Our Spicery On Etsy
Smoke It Up Set: Chipotle and Chile De Arbol Powders
Two smoky chili powders in one set! Low-medium heat chipotle (smoky and earthy) and medium-heat chile de arbol (smoky, nutty). Both are great as dry rubs for BBQ or as finishing seasonings to add some smoky heat. 100% chilies, no additives.Buy Now
Support PepperScale by purchasing our fiery spices. Subscribers get 15% off!
Smoky Espresso BBQ Sauce
- 1 bottle ketchup 14 ounces
- 1 chipotle pepper from chipotle peppers in adobe sauce, pureed smooth
- 1 ounce espresso 1 shot
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon adobo sauce extra from the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce above
- Add all ingredients to a glass bowl and stir to combine.
- Use immediately. Or for best flavor, cover the bbq sauce and place in the refrigerator overnight to allow the flavors to meld.
Did you make this?Mention @PepperScale or tag #PepperScale so we can see what you made!