Gravy cooked from meat juices just cannot be beaten. The full-on flavor from the chicken and the smoky, fiery flavor from the chipotle chili make this chipotle chicken gravy truly irresistible. Everyone at the table will be asking for more.
This recipe can be quite spicy depending on how much chili flakes and chipotle powder you use. Be sure to ramp up or down depending on your audience. If it’s meant to be family-friendly, consider cutting out the chili flakes entirely. They often pack more of a punch than the chipotle powder as cayenne peppers are a staple pepper in those flakes.
Fennel seeds give this gravy a fragrant offering which takes the taste to another level completely. But it’s not the only dried herb that boosts the flavor. Thyme and rosemary also pair up here. Together with the chipotle, it’s a real robust gravy flavor.
You can freeze the gravy for up to two weeks. Reheat it by defrosting and microwaving for two minutes on high power.
Chipotle Chicken Gravy
- Roasting tray with a wired top
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 pinch fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Salt and pepper to season
- In the base of the roasting tray dissolve the stock cubes in 1 cup boiling water then add the thyme, chili flakes, rosemary, fennel, and chipotle powder.
- Add the chicken onto the cooking wire and place over the tray so that the juices drip down into the gravy mixture.
- Cook the chicken as per the packaging instructions.
- Once cooked through remove the whole tray from the oven and place the chicken aside to rest.
- Place a saucepan over medium heat and add the butter.
- When melted add the flour and mix thoroughly to avoid lumps.
- Pour the juices from the baking tray into the saucepan and stir consistently until thickening.
- Add the other cup of water gradually until the desired consistency is reached.
- Taste and add salt and pepper according to taste.
- Serve with the chicken immediately or store for up to two days in the refrigerator.