Carrot soup is always a go-to when you need a little comfort food goodness. Sweet and earthy, it’s a soup that delivers on the most meh days. But how about amping that comfort up a notch? How about some comfort food with something to say? That’s curried carrot soup in a nutshell.
Thai red curry paste (see a homemade recipe here) is the heat source here, along with just a touch of crushed red pepper as a garnish. Together they bring the burn to the earthy sweet carrot soup comfort. And then there’s that touch of coconut – it’s a tropical exotic twist. This is a soup that’ll make you feel good and get you talking about how tasty it is.
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Spicy Carrot Soup: Want a spicy carrot soup without the curry and coconut flavor? Check this recipe out.
- Thai Pumpkin Soup: Not your typical take on pumping soup. Fiery and boldly spiced.
- Mexican Meatball Soup: A total meal-in-a-bowl, hearty and filling.
Curried Carrot Soup
- 12 carrots chopped, medium sized, approximately 2 pounds worth
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk 13.5 ounce can
- 1 white onion diced
- 1 lime juiced, approximately 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Crushed red pepper flakes for garnish (optional)
- In a large high-sided pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil and sauté the onions until soft and translucent (approximately 5 minutes).
- To the onions, add the garlic and Thai red curry paste, and continue to cook, stirring often, for 1 minute.
- Add the vegetable broth and carrots and increase the heat to high. Bring the mix to a boil, then lower the heat to medium-low and simmer the mix until the carrots are cooked (softened, approximately 20 minutes).
- Blend the soup with a hand blender until smooth (or transfer the soup to a blender to do so).
- Add the coconut milk, lime juice, and salt. Continue to simmer the soup for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Plate the soup into bowls and top with a sprinkle of crushed red pepper. Serve immediately.