Here’s a perfect treat for those long hot days. Jalapeño and lemon popsicles are sweet, sour, and spicy all in one. These spicy popsicles are sure to be a hit for those that like some spice in their snacks and that tart, refreshing taste lemons deliver in spades. They’re very easy to make, needing only five basic ingredients. And the mixture has plenty of other uses too.
You can use this mixture to make some tasty cocktail cooler cubes too. Simply pour it into an ice cube tray rather than a popsicle mold. They will work perfectly with any fruit-based cocktail, adding that sweetness, tartness, and a slight kick. A tequila sunrise comes to mind. And if you have an ice cream maker at home, you can add the mixture to it for a few hours to make a delicious spicy sorbet.
Remove the seeds and the pith from the chili before chopping. The jalapeño peppers in this recipe add bright bite rather than powerful heat. That said, definitely test before giving one to the kids as the result can vary based on the heat of the jalapeños used.
This is a great recipe to experiment with, both in the fruits added and the chilies used. You can use orange, grapefruit, or lime juice to create different fruity flavors (or to replace the lemon completely.) And, as always, you can certainly add more pop. Try fresh serrano or cayenne pepper for steps up. Or these frozen treats are also delicious with extra-hot chilies like habaneros or scotch bonnets.
While the recipe calls for popsicle molds, you can get creative there. As an example, we use throwaway coffee cups with popsicle sticks in our video.
See these spicy popsicles being made:
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Spiced Berry And Coconut Popsicles: Another delicious summer treat. We use coconut cream instead of coconut milk to make it richer.
- Mexican Fruit Salad: Chopped melon, mango chunks, strawberries, pineapple, and more are here. And we combine these sweet fruits with a touch of smoky chipotle spiciness.
- Spicy Watermelon Salad: Talk about a bowl full of flavor, and it’s delicious as a light meal or as a dessert.
Jalapeño And Lemon Popcicles
- Place a saucepan over low heat.
- Add sugar and water to the pan and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Simmer for 10 minutes to create a simple syrup then remove from the heat.
- Juice the lemons and chop the jalapeños finely.
- Combine all of the ingredients together and stir.
- Divide the mixture into popsicle molds and freeze for at least 3 hours.
- Keep in the freezer for up to 4 weeks.