Once you’ve tasted a jalapeño popper grilled cheese sandwich, it’s hard to return to plain-Jane cheddar on bread. It’s souped-up comfort food in all the right ways. And yet, this recipe is so simple to make. It’s six simple ingredients and pretty much the same amount of kitchen time as a regular grilled cheese. This is the kind of everyday meal hack that really gets people talking.
There’s already a decent amount of spiciness in a jalapeño popper grilled cheese sandwich. There’s potential for a full jalapeño used here per sandwich. But you can obviously tone down this meal by cutting the amount used by half or more. Want to amp things up even further? Try a little spicy popper dipping sauce on the side or use a serrano instead of a jalapeño. They have a comparable bright, grassy flavor, but serrano peppers are easily twice the heat. Don’t say we didn’t warn you.
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Jalapeño Popper Chicken Soup: All the good things you’d expect in soup form, creamy and fiery!
- Jalapeño Popper Mashed Potatoes: We love these as a side for BBQ or steak.
- Spicy Fried Chicken: We double-down on the heat, in both the breading and the brine for the chicken.
Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Preheat frying pan over medium-low.
- Butter your bread.
- Place one slice on pan, butter side down. Top with the cheddar cheese, jalapeño pepper slices, and bacon.
- Spread cream cheese on the other piece of bread (opposite side of butter), then place the slice cream cheese side down on top of the grilling sandwich.
- Grill on both sides until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown