Your taste buds won’t know where to turn when you bring the bright spiciness of jalapeño peppers to the creamy heartiness of this scalloped potatoes recipe. Chili powder delivers additional heat with a touch of rustic earthiness, too. It’s an exceptional side with chicken, turkey, ham, or steak. But it’s so tasty, you may be tempted to eat it on its own!
Want it hotter? Try using green serrano peppers (roughly twice as hot as jalapeños.) Serranos have a comparable bright, grassy bite that works well with the creamy earthiness here.
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Spicy Potato Wedges: These are big hearty (and fiery) potato wedges that work so well with red meat and BBQ.
- Chipotle and Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes: Smoky and slightly pungent, you’ll be surprised at how well chipotle and garlic work together.
- Piri-Piri Potato Wedge Platter: Another excellent BBQ and meat side – piri-piri peppers, pickled jalapeños, veggies, and cheese. Delicious.
Jalapeño Scalloped Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly oil a 9×13 baking pan or cast iron skillet.
- Transfer the sliced potatoes to a large glass bowl, then add the heavy cream, jalapeño peppers, garlic, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and chili powder. Stir to coat.
- Spread the potato mix across your skillet or pan in layers.
- Cover the skillet or pan with foil and bake the potatoes for 1 hour.
- Remove the foil, and sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top of the potatoes. Then bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until the cheese turns a golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let the dish cool for 5 minutes. Serve.