Here’s the simple truth: Any homemade taco seasoning is going to be much healthier than those store-bought packets. Those packets contain preservatives, anti-caking agents, and other non-spice ingredients to prolong their shelf-life. So if you’re looking for a typical homemade taco spice mix, take a look at our traditional recipe here.
Now this recipe takes things a step further by also removing the salt for those that are watching their salt intake. Instead of salt, we add a touch of cinnamon to the mix. It provides a little extra earthiness and sweetness to the taco seasoning, which is quite tasty! Use it as you would any other taco spice mix.
And if you prefer things a little milder, try ancho powder instead of cayenne in the recipe. It leans into the sweetness and is a heck of a lot milder.
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Homemade Sriracha Powder: Turn the popular hot sauce into a delicious spice blend!
- Salt-Free Cajun Seasoning: Looking to reduce sodium in your cooking? Here’s another delicious take on a popular blend.
- Chili Lime Seasoning: A delicious mix of tangy and spicy.
Salt-Free Taco Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon. paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a mixing bowl combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Use immediately, or store in an airtight container away from sunlight for future use.