A quick mix for that Tex-Mex taste…
Need a quick spice rack mix to liven up your tacos, burritos, or fajitas? Let’s hit that spice rack. This extra spicy southwest seasoning takes only six exceptionally common spices and blends them into a simple, yet tasty Tex-Mex blend.
Don’t only look at Tex-Mex and Mexican cuisine, this southwest seasoning is also delicious as a quick and dirty chicken or steak rub to add a boost of flavor and heat. Cayenne pepper provides the pow in this recipe, and you can adjust to your heat tolerance – but note, a little goes a long way. Ramp up with care.
Extra Spicy Southwest Seasoning
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1/4 cup cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper more to heat preference
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- In a mixing bowl, add all ingredients and stir to combine.
- Use immediately or place in an airtight container for future use (up to 5 months if in a shaded area).
Adjust the cayenne pepper powder to your desired heat level. If you opt for additional cayenne pepper, add it 1/4 teaspoon at a time and taste test as the heat level can increase fast. You can opt for generic paprika instead for a milder southwest seasoning.
Did you make this?Mention @PepperScale or tag #PepperScale so we can see what you made!