Make it hot or not, this sweet and spiced plum and amaretti crumble will have you coming back for more. The amaretti biscuits provide delicious crunchiness, with that tasty amaretto flavor. It’s a perfect culinary foil to the sweet and tangy plumb flavor. Plus, there’s just a touch of fiery warmth here to bring additional life to this dessert.
We use cayenne pepper powder for the heat. It’s totally your choice on how to play the spiciness. Want a spiced plum ad amaretti crumble with just a little heat? Try lowering the cayenne to 1/4 of a teaspoon. Want something spicier? Double up the cayenne and use a full teaspoon. You could even go without the cayenne altogether. The cinnamon adds some warmth here, too, and can provide the “spiced” in the title on its own.
Any plums will work for the recipe, and the older they are, the sweeter they will be. So this recipe is a great way to use up some older produce.
Spiced plum and amaretti crumble is best enjoyed fresh, but it can also be frozen in small portions and reheated in the oven to regain the crispy topping. It’s delicious just on its own, but, for something “extra”, enjoy it with ice cream, whipping cream, or custard.
Spiced Plum And Amaretti Crumble
- 1 Food processor
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place a heavy-bottomed frying pan over medium heat, add the butter and melt it completely.
- Remove the stone from each plum, then chop the plums into chunks.
- Add the plums to the frying pan, sprinkle the plums with sugar, then cook for 2-3 minutes until the plums are softened.
- Add the cayenne pepper and the cinnamon powder to the plum mix, stir to combine, then set the plums to the side off the heat.
- To a food processor, add the amaretti biscuits, flour, baking soda, and remaining butter. Pulse blend until the mix resembles bread crumbs and until no larger lumps of butter remain.
- Place the cooked plum into the bottom of small casserole dish then sprinkle the topping evenly over top.
- Transfer into the pre-heated oven, and bake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Remove from the oven.
- Serve with cream, custard, or ice cream!