Spiced pineapple is such a simple recipe but so incredibly versatile. It can be enjoyed for breakfast, as a snack, or even as a tasty palate cleansing side dish at a dinner party. The enzymes in fresh pineapple help the body digest food and this makes it an excellent choice after lots of meat. It helps the body process the meat and leaves you feeling a little fresher rather than lethargic.
The addition of some sugar and spice only improves the flavor. And it’s so simple in this spiced pineapple recipe. We use cayenne pepper and cinnamon, but you can experiment with the spices used. Even just a sprinkle of salt can add a twist to the flavor. And it works with other bold spices, like nutmeg or allspice, too.
All you need to do is toss the fruit in the sugar and spices, then grill as you please. You can cook under the broiler, on the bbq, or even in a griddle pan. The choice is yours. And the result, anyway you cook it, is pretty irresistible. And quick to make. Seriously, the taste to effort factor of spiced pineapple is incredibly high.
This recipe does not keep well, so enjoy it immediately! Serve with granola and some Greek yogurt — it’s a perfect pairing. Or, for a dessert, try it with ice cream and some honey drizzled over top.
See it being made:
- Place a griddle pan over high heat.
- Cut the outside of the pineapple away and cut slices from it.
- In a small bowl combine the sugar, cayenne pepper powder, and cinnamon.
- Toss the pineapple slices in the mixture until completely coated.
- Lightly oil a griddle pan and place over high heat.
- Cook the pineapple for 3 minutes on each side then serve immediately.