You’ll gobble this green! A cross between guacamole and hummus, spicy avocado hummus (a.k.a. guacamole hummus) is a killer dipper. Jalapeño peppers are the driving spice source, with a little chipotle powder thrown in to provide a smoky undertone and extra kick. If you don’t have chipotle powder at the ready, that’s ok. You can sub out for a pinch of crushed red pepper that you likely have sitting right on the spice rack.
Serve the hummus with your typical dipping sides – fresh-cut vegetables and crusty bread are musts, but we also love this with fresh apple slices. The avocado earthiness and jalapeño heat are terrific with the sweetness of the apple.
See it being made:
Must-read related posts
- Chipotle Hummus: Like your dip to be earthier? Chipotle delivers here.
- Daltjie Chili Bites: They may look weird, but this fiery appetizer is definitely packed with flavor!
- Fried Jalapeño Slices: A classic appetizer, crisp and fiery.
Spicy Avocado Hummus
- 1 jalapeño pepper halved lengthwise, seeds and stalk removed
- 1 ripe avocado peeled, pitted, and roughly chopped
- 1 can garbanzo beans 14 ounce can, drained
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup tahini paste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place into a blender the jalapeño, avocado, garbanzo beans, garlic, lime juice, cilantro leaves, tahini paste, honey, cumin and chipotle powder.Place all ingredients except the cut-up veggies, in a food processor. Process until smooth. Makes about 2 cups. Serve with veggies.
- Pulse blend the ingredients until you reach your desired smooth consistency.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour the avocado hummus into a serving dish, and serve with crusty bread (chopped) and vegetables.