Grilled with a quick spicy rub…
When you’ve got your grill on, time is often of the essence. You’re likely cooking for friends and family, so the less time you have to spend seasoning and grilling, the more time you have to enjoy these special moments. Yet, you want your food to taste stellar – and in our case deliciously spicy – there’s no doubt. Enter the quick and dirty BBQ spice rub, perfect for making a batch of spicy BBQ shrimp in minutes.
The homemade spice rub in this recipe leans heavily on chili powder and cumin to provide an earthy simmer, but underneath it all is a smoky heat brought to life by smoked paprika. The rub takes only minutes to make and the shrimp grill up in mere minutes as well. In fact, what takes the most time is heating up the grill and soaking the skewers prior to use.
Spicy BBQ Shrimp
- 2 pounds large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- While pre-heating your grill, soak wooden skewers in water for approximately 15 minutes so that they won't burn while grilling.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the garlic, olive oil, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, sugar, crushed red pepper, black pepper and salt.
- Coat all shrimp with the spices, then skewer the shrimp for grilling.
- Grill the shrimp for 2 to 3 minutes, then flip the shrimp and continue grilling for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the shrimp from the grill and allow them to rest for 2 minutes prior to serving.