Hot peppers and cabbage may not immediately come to mind as a good pairing, but this soup is out to prove that wrong. Spicy cabbage soup a unique blend of flavors: part tart, part earthy, and part spicy. It’s flavors may be surprising, but it’s no doubt one of those comfort soups that’ll make you feel just right.
Jalapeño pepper is the heat source. If a tablespoon isn’t enough heat, feel free to double, even triple, the proportion to get it to the spiciness you prefer.
Spicy Cabbage Soup
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups cabbage sliced thin
- 2 red potatoes chopped into cubes
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño pepper minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes 15 ounces
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a soup pot and sauté the onion for 5 minutes (until the onion is translucent).
- Add in the garlic and jalapeño pepper, and continue to sauté for 60 to 90 seconds.
- Add the mustard and cumin and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the broth, potatoes, tomatoes and lemon juice, and bring to a quick boil and then simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Add the cabbage to the soup and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Calories: 182kcalCarbohydrates: 33gProtein: 5gFat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 3gSodium: 1800mgPotassium: 873mgFiber: 5gSugar: 10gVitamin A: 866IUVitamin C: 48mgCalcium: 94mgIron: 3mg
Did you make this?Mention @PepperScale or tag #PepperScale so we can see what you made!