A sweet and spicy side…
Matching the earthy sweetness of carrots with butter and brown sugar is already a delicious pairing. But when you add in some chili powder and a pinch of cayenne powder? Now we’re talking a spicy side delight.
This is a great side dish for roasted turkey, ham, or even steak, so keep it at hand during holiday season or for dinner parties. It’s a quick recipe to make that has a lot of flavor for the effort. The cayenne pepper powder is optional, but just a little pinch brings a nice warmth to the carrots.
Spicy Glazed Carrots
- 4 carrots or 1 package baby carrots, peeled and cut as preferred
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 pinches salt to taste
- Pinch black pepper to taste
- Pinch cayenne pepper optional, to heat desired
- Parsley chopped, as garnish
- In a medium-sized pot, bring water and a pinch of salt to a boil.
- Add the carrots and boil them until they are tender, approximately 6 to 8 minutes. Remove the carrots and place to the side.
- Empty the water from the pot and pat dry. Place the pot over medium heat and add the butter. Melt the butter, then add the sugar. Stir to combine.
- Add the chili powder, as well as pinches of salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper (optional, for more heat). Stir to combine.
- Place the carrots back in the pot with the butter mix, and stir to coat the carrots.
- Transfer the glazed carrots to a serving dish and top with chopped parsley. Serve.
Did you make this?Mention @PepperScale or tag #PepperScale so we can see what you made!