Plain yellow mustard turned wicked…
We love BBQ sauces that lean into tang more than sweetness, and few do that better than a spicy mustard BBQ sauce. We’re not saying there isn’t a little sweetness in this recipe – honey helps even out the flavor and brown sugar provides a sweet earthiness. But plain yellow mustard is still the star, providing that tangy twist to chicken and pork that’s so different than ketchup-based BBQ sauces.
And of course this is a spicy mustard BBQ sauce, so we can’t forget the chipotle pepper and cayenne pepper that provide the pop and a little smoky undertone too. It’s a wicked mix of tang, sweet, and heat that you’ll love for barbecue season. Don”t be surprised if you dabble with this sauce during the off-season too.
Spicy Mustard BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper in adobo sauce minced
- 1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder or 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium mixing bowl, add all ingredients and stir to combine.
- Pour the sauce into a saucepan and warm over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes, to allow the sauce to slightly thicken. Stir occasionally.
- Use immediately, or pour the sauce into an airtight container, cover, and chill the sauce for 4 to 6 hours to allow the ingredients to meld.
Did you make this?Mention @PepperScale or tag #PepperScale so we can see what you made!