The fresh taste of tomato and basil with heat!
Sometimes it’s the simple sauces that make the best meals. Case in point: spicy pomodoro sauce. It’s the fresh taste of tomato, basil, Parmigiano Reggiano, and garlic (plenty of garlic) and then there’s that kick. A little crushed red pepper turns things up a notch.
Try it with any pasta . You can also add chicken or shrimp to make it into more of a meal. Pomodoro sauce also works very well as a dipping sauce for mozzarella sticks, chicken fingers, and other fried foods.
Spicy Pomodoro Sauce
- 4 tomatoes medium-sized
- 1/3 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
- 6 cloves garlic
- 15 basil leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Heat oil over medium heat in a small saute pan.
- Add garlic, saute until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Add tomatoes, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes, stir.
- Continue to saute tomatoes until they begin to fall apart.
- Add balsamic vinegar, and heat for 5-8 more minutes until flavors are combined, and tomatoes have become a chunky sauce.
- Take sauce off of heat and stir in basil and parmesan cheese. Taste, and adjust season.
Did you make this?Mention @PepperScale or tag #PepperScale so we can see what you made!