Warms you up in all the right ways…
When you move from spiced sweet potato soup to spicy, you have a dish that’ll warm you up no matter how cold it gets outside. The heat here comes from chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, and with it comes more than a hint of smokiness that pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the soup. Garlic and ground cumin provide an earthiness that balances things out perfectly.
Spicy Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 large sweet potatoes chopped
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce minced + 2 tablespoons sauce
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cilantro or thyme sprig - optional, for garnish
- Cream optional, for garnish
- In a large pot, heat the oil on medium then add in the onion and garlic. Sauté until the onion is translucent.
- Add in the chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, cumin, and sweet potato. Stir until fragrant (10 to 15 seconds).
- Add in the chicken stock and cover. Lower the heat to low and let the soup simmer covered for 20 to 25 minutes or until the sweet potato softens.
- Pour soup into a blender (or use a hand blender) and purée until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with cilantro or cream.
Did you make this?Mention @PepperScale or tag #PepperScale so we can see what you made!