Berry sweet-tart with jalapeño kick.
Berries – like most fruits – pair up very well with chili peppers. Take, for instance, this spicy blueberry barbecue sauce. The rich sweet-tart blueberry flavor is paired nicely against the medium-heat of the jalapeño pepper. This is a BBQ sauce that’s great for marinading beef, chicken, or pork equally. And as a dipping sauce for chicken fingers, it’s pure yum. Want it hotter? Add an extra jalapeño or opt for a teaspoon of chili pepper in the mix.
Spicy Blueberry BBQ Sauce
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine all ingredients and heat, stirring often, until it simmers.
- Lower temperature to medium-low and cook the mix for approximately 30 minutes. The berries should burst.
- Remove the mix from the heat and pour it into a food processor or blender. Pulse blend until you've reached your desired sauce consistency.
- Pour into jars or serving bowl and let it cool to room temperature prior to refrigerating.
- For best taste, refrigerate the sauce for at least one hour prior to using to allow the flavors to meld.