Unbelievably simple and with flavors you just can’t get enough of, this cheese and jalapeño muffin tray bake is exactly like its individual muffin counterparts but with more bang! This is a perfect comfort food side. Fiery and cheesy just can’t be beat.
As to the heat, you can leave the pith in the jalapeño pepper (2,500 to 8,000 Scoville heat units) for some more spice, and adding some fresh jalapeño slices on top of the cheese while baking offers up an additional way to spice things up. Or opt for a hotter chili with a similar bright bite. Serrano peppers (10,000 to 23,000 SHU) fit the bill quite well here, and they are roughly double the heat of those jalapeños.
The baking tin should be around 15 x 10 inches. It’s okay if yours is a little bigger or smaller, just adjust the cooking time and check with a clean skewer to ensure it has cooked through before removing it from the oven. Be careful not to over-mix the muffin mix, as the muffins won’t rise as well as they should. Mix well enough that the ingredients are only just combined. This is the key to a great muffin.
See our tray bake being made:
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Easy Jalapeño Cornbread Muffins: A perfect grab-and-go side for BBQ.
- Deep-Fried Jalapeño Cream Cheese Bread Rolls: Healthy? No. Delicious? Yes.
- Chili Chocolate Bread: So good as either breakfast or dessert.
Cheese and Jalapeño Muffin Tray Bake
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 1/2 onion
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups plain flour
- ¼ cup greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Melt the butter in the microwave for 30-60 second then mix the crushed garlic with it.
- Finely chop the onion into the smallest cubes possible.
- Remove the seeds and pith from the Jalapeno and finely chop.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl being careful not to over mix – hold back half of the cheese for the topping.
- Grease your baking tray (15"x10" recommended) with some butter then pour in the mixture and use a spatula to spread it evenly then top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minute and test if i skewer comes out clean to check if cooked through.
- Serve immediately.