Here’s an easy pico de gallo recipe that takes no time at all to make—from prep to table in under 20 minutes. That’s a lot of flavor in a little time. We love this salsa fresca as a spicy side (a great alternative to a plain Jane salad), and it’s also super tasty on top of tacos, burritos, and other Mexican dishes.
Jalapeños are used in this recipe, and they provide a low-medium spiciness to the salsa. Jalapeños range 2,500 to 8,000 Scoville heat units (SHU). If you want to ramp up this easy pico de gallo, trying a heat upgrade to the serrano chili. Serranos are a noticeable increase in spiciness, often twice as hot (10,000 to 23,000 SHU). You could also explore hotter chilies, though the bright, grassy bite of both the green jalapeño and serrano work very well with the garden-fresh flavors in this salsa.
–> Learn More: Serrano Versus Jalapeño
If you want the full spicy flavor to set in, let it refrigerate for a few hours prior to serving. This is absolutely the kind of appetizer you can make quickly in the morning to have ready (and raring to go) for an afternoon get-together.
See it being made:
Like this salsa? You’ll love these too:
- Jalapeño Salsa Verde: Tomatillos provide a delicious tang — a delicious one-two punch with the brightness of those jalapeños.
- Peach Habanero Salsa: It’s not just tropical fruits that pair well with the habanero.
- Spicy Blueberry Salsa: Sweet, fiery, and earthy. This is a salsa you can eat on its own as a dessert.
Easy Pico De Gallo Recipe
- In a mixing bowl, toss the diced tomatoes, onions, and jalapeños together.
- Mix in the cilantro, lime juice and salt and toss thoroughly.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, drain the excess liquid from the bowl.