Ginger and chili jam is as good with cheese on toast as it is with some fresh baked potato wedges. It activates the taste buds with a big hit of ginger, followed by just a slight hint of spice. And then the delicious sweetness is there (which keeps you coming back for more.)
There are so many ways to enjoy ginger and chili jam. Try it with some cream cheese smothered on a cracker or a dip for poppadoms or naan bread with your Friday night curry. It also makes for one boldly flavorful peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Of course, you can play around with the spiciness of the jam by using different chili peppers. Piri piri (malagueta) work well here. However, we don’t advise going too spicy with this one, as it can really overpower the sweetness. You’ll want to balance the eating experience here.
Be sure to sterilize your jars before storing your ginger and chili jam. You can do this by simply placing them in boiling water for 10 minutes (both jar and lid.) Pour away the water and allow it to air dry. You can keep the jam in a dark, cool cupboard unopened for up to six months. Be sure you use it within two weeks of opening.
See it being made:
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Strawberry Jalapeño Jam: Plenty of strawberry flavor here and the jalapeños provide a perfect amount of fiery bite.
- Mango Habanero Jam: A bold step up in heat. Mangoes and habaneros also pair very well together flavorwise.
- Spicy Apple Butter: A classic spread with some extra pop.
Ginger and Chili Jam
- Sterilize your jars prior to canning. Fill a large pot with water, then bring the water to a boil. Place the jars and lids in the boiling water for 10 minutes, then remove. Allow them to air dry.
- Place the red pepper, chilies, ginger, and garlic in a food processor until very finely chopped.
- Pour the contents of the blender into a large pot along with the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat slightly.
- Boil for 45-50 minutes or until it has gained a jam like consistency.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before pouring into your dried sterile jar. Seal immediately.