Thanks to our community member Uhclem for sharing this extra fiery habanero cornbread recipe. It’s a perfect recipe to pair with spicy barbecue or chili con carne. We bet it’s also delicious as a fiery breakfast side with eggs or grits. Forget that extra cup of coffee. This would be a definite pick-me-up in the morning!
So just how hot is habanero cornbread? Habaneros are a quite hot (100,000 to 350,000 Scoville heat units), so – even with only one used in this recipe – there will be quite a bit of spiciness here. That habanero sweetness, too, is a nice complementary pairing with the sugar-based sweetness of cornbread. It’s a completely different flavor (and obviously heat) to the traditional jalapeño cornbread. Jalapeños have more of a bright, grassy flavor to them that act as more of a flavor foil to the sweetness in the bread itself.
As always: Take care when working with habanero peppers. These aren’t chilies to take for granted. For those less familiar with the Scoville scale, it’s easy to treat habaneros like jalapeños since you can buy them in many major grocery stores right next to the other chilies. But in reality they are easily twelve times hotter at minimum than even the hottest possible jalapeño. Wear gloves when handling to avoid some pretty significant chili burn. And know how to combat it beforehand if it does occur.
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Easy Jalapeño Cornbread Muffins: Much less heat than this recipe, and as muffins they’re easy to grab and go!
- Spicy Cowboy Beans: Here’s a perfect side to go along with this cornbread.
- Spicy Pineapple, Avocado, and Black Bean Salsa: This is a salsa that eats like a meal on its own.
Molten Habanero Cornbread
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 habanero pepper minced, more if preferred
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly spray a baking pan.
- In a large bowl combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder and mix.
- In a separate bowl combine egg, butter, milk and olive oil. Beat.
- Combine both bowls and mix well.
- Add habanero peppers and mix.
- Pour into baking dish and bake 25 to 30 minutes (depending on how thick you pour) or until cornbread is done in the middle.
What size baking pan?
This is in my oven right now