As far as “chop and combine” salads go, this is one of the most delicious we’ve tasted. It’s so simple: pineapple, black beans, avocado, and jalapeño pepper, of course, to light the match. The bright grassy flavor of the jalapeño pepper not only brings heat, it meshes very well with the overall fruitiness and earthiness of the salad. It’s delicious served as an appetizer with tortilla chips, or try it simply on its own as a light side salad with fish or chicken.
You can step things up if you want by substituting in serrano peppers for jalapeños. They are oftentimes double the heat with a comparable flavor profile, so expect a most certain heat bump.
Like this salsa recipe? You’ll love these salsas too:
- Fiery Cherry: This is one of our favorite salsas to pair with pork.
- Peach Habanero: A definite step up in the heat department, and the natural sweetness of habaneros pairs so well with peach.
- Spicy Blueberry: Earthy blueberries and the bright bite of jalapeños are a tasty one-two punch of flavor.
Shop Our Spicery On Etsy
Jalapeño and Chipotle "Yin and Yang" Set
This chili powder pairing shows two sides of the versatile jalapeño pepper. Ground green jalapeño for a delicious grassy flavor, perfect with salsas and salads. And ground chipotle, smoky and earthy, that's a must for fiery barbecue.Buy Now
Support PepperScale by purchasing our fiery spices. Subscribers get 15% off!
Spicy Pineapple, Avocado, And Black Bean Salad
A delicious "chop and combine" salsa that's tasty, too, as a side
- 1 can black beans 15 oz can, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups pineapple diced
- 2 to 3 jalapeño peppers seeded and diced
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/2 onion sliced thin or diced
- 1/3 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl, then add salt and pepper to taste.
Want more heat, try a serrano pepper instead of a jalapeño. It can be double the heat of the jalapeño with a similar bright flavor.
Calories: 101kcalCarbohydrates: 15gProtein: 4gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 2gSodium: 3mgPotassium: 291mgFiber: 5gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 140IUVitamin C: 23mgCalcium: 18mgIron: 1mg
Did you make this?Mention @PepperScale or tag #PepperScale so we can see what you made!