Hot and cold all at the same time, habanero orange sorbet is a taste sensation full of contrasts! Just when your mouth is feeling cool and refreshed, in comes the biting heat to liven things up. Plus – the combination of habanero pepper and orange is a match made in heaven: sweet and tangy meets a fruity bite.
This spicy sorbet will work wonders for the guests at your next BBQ or dinner party. But give your guests some notice on this one – its heat is not for all. Habanero peppers are extra-hot chilies, 100,000 to 350,000 Scoville heat units (12 to 140 times hotter than a jalapeño.) There’s also no milk in this recipe (it’s a sorbet, after all, not ice cream) to temper some of the heat while eating. Of course, you can use half (or less) of the habanero pepper if you need to tame the flame.
Note: The recipe uses an ice cream maker. If you don’t have one, pour the mixture onto a freeze-proof bowl and place it in the freezer for two hours. After this time, remove the sorbet and mix thoroughly. Return to the freezer and stir every hour until frozen.
See our habanero orange sorbet being made:
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Spiced Berry And Coconut Popsicles: A delicious, thirst-quenching treat.
- Spicy Candied Citrus Fruit: Perfect as a topper to ice cream or sorbet.
- Easy Raspberry Habanero Sauce: Works on ice cream, too, but also delicious atop cheese for a fiery-sweet appetizer.
Habanero Orange Sorbet
- Ice Cream Maker
- Using a vegetable peeler remove 3 strips of zest from 1 orange and 1 lemon.
- Place the zest in a small saucepan with the water and sugar and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Remove zest from the mixture with a metal spoon and set the syrup aside to cool while you prepare the rest of the recipe
- Squeeze the juice from the oranges and lemon and add to the cooled sugar syrup.
- Remove the seeds from the habanero and chop as finely as possible and stir into the mixture.
- Pour the sorbet mixture into an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer's instructions until frozen
- Keep frozen until ready to serve then scoop out into serving bowls