Kiwi and jalapeño salsa is a fruity appetizer or side with a delicious Mexican-style flavor (and kick!) It’s healthy, too, and quick to make. So if you’re looking for something quick to whip up that’s beyond your basic salsa — give this one a go. The kiwi and fresh ginger root are an amazing pairing with fresh jalapeños.
Just like our basic tomato salsa, kiwi and jalapeño salsa works really well with crackers and veggie sticks. It’s also perfect as a side to grilled chicken. Seriously, place this salsa with a simple grilled chicken breast (spiced with a little salt and pepper), and you turn something really basic into something special.
If you’re worried about the pungency and strong aftertaste of the raw onions, don’t be. When that raw onion is mixed with salt, vinegar, and lime juice, it starts a “cooking” process with those onions. It lessens their pungency and allows the flavors of the other ingredients to share center stage.
Looking to add additional spiciness to this salsa? You could add additional fresh jalapeño pepper. Or if you have a bottle of Tabasco Green Sauce sitting around, it’s an excellent addition to provide some extra heat. Just a few dashes will add some additional spiciness without interfering with the overall flavor.
See it being made:
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Peach Habanero Salsa: An extra-fiery option filled with delicious sweet heat.
- Spicy Blueberry Salsa: The berry’s earthy-sweetness acts as a nice foil to the bright bite of jalapeños.
- Seven-Layer Taco Dip: An ever-popular appetizer, perfect for parties!
Explore the Scoville scale through our Up The Scale spice set, featuring medium heat jalapeño, extra-hot habanero, and fiery super-hot ghost powders.
Kiwi And Jalapeño Salsa
- 4 kiwi
- 1 inch fresh ginger root
- 1 onion small
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime juice only
- 1 fresh jalapeño pepper
- Peel and finely chop the ginger into small matchstick sizes.
- Peel the onion and finely dice.
- Peel and cube the kiwi and avocado.
- Add the ginger and onion into a small bowl then add the salt, vinegar, and lime juice. Stir well to combine.
- Add the chopped jalapeño pepper, kiwi, and avocado. Stir to combine once again.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour, then enjoy!