Spiced apple oats are the kind of breakfast dish that will keep you warm all winter long. People have been enjoying oats as a staple food for thousands of years. And for good reason – they are not only nutritious but also an amazing base for culinary fun.
For instance, you can adapt this recipe to suit your tastes. Add some pumpkin seeds, sultanas, chia seeds, or fresh berries to change the flavor. Liven things up with extra spices like nutmeg. Or, if you like things extra spicy, double up on cayenne powder for a significant heat bump. You can also substitute the butter for rapeseed oil for some extra health benefits. And it’s also an option to keep the apple skins on for a quicker recipe that’s also higher in fiber.
Enjoy spiced apple oats as a warming breakfast or as a delicious filling pudding-like dessert in the evening.
See it being made:
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Spicy Apple Chips: What a delicious healthy snack, fiery and sweet.
- Bacon, Egg, And Cheese Quiche With Serrano Peppers: A classic quiche, with the tasty bright bite of green serranos.
- Spiced Pancakes With Berries: This is one memorable breakfast, for sure.
Spiced Apple Oats
- 2 cooking apples skin removed, cored, and chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter or rapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup oats
- 2 cups milk
- Extra honey for topping optional
- Add the butter or oil to a saucepan over medium heat. Add the apple pieces then cook for 3 minutes until softening.
- Add the cayenne pepper powder, cinnamon, and honey. Stir to coat the apples
- Add the oats to the pan and stir to combine. Then add all of the milk and again stir to combine.
- Stir occasionally over medium heat until the oats have thickened to your desired consistency.
- Serve in a bowl with some extra honey if desired.