Our spiced peach cake recipe is plenty fruity with just enough spice. It’s just as delicious as winter comfort food as it is served cold in the summer with a big scoop of ice cream. And there’s just a mild heat here from a touch cayenne pepper (and some warmth from cinnamon) , so nearly all can enjoy this dessert.
What makes this dessert even better, is its flexibility. In fact, it doesn’t even need to be a spiced peach cake. This recipe works well with many fruits including plumb, pineapple, apples, or even canned mandarins. It’s your choice, depending on your tastes. A fun way to play with it: Adjust the recipe to feature the best fruits from season to season, making those family meals all the more special.
This spiced peach cake recipe is also flexible in terms of spiciness. I mentioned above that it’s pretty mild as it stands. But if you enjoy a spicier dessert, change that half teaspoon of cayenne pepper into a full teaspoon. Or, for even more pizazz, add some finely diced or sliced candied jalapeño peppers (a.k.a. cowboy candy) among the peach slices before pouring over the sponge mixture. It adds a delicious sweet heat to the recipe.
Spiced Peach Cake
- 1 can peach slices
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Open the tin of peaches and retain the juice in a separate bowl.
- Arrange the peaches along the bottom of a square baking til or small casserole dish.
- Add the butter to a large bowl or stand mixer and mix until soft.
- Add the sugar and mix further until light and fluffy.
- Crack the egg into the mixture and mix quickly until well combine and light once again.
- Add the flour, cayenne pepper powder, cinnamon, and baking powder to the mixture and then fold.
- Add a splash of the peach juice until the sponge reached a thick but smooth consistency.
- Pour the mixture over the peaches and smooth the surface.
- Bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the center clean.
- Allow to cool for ten minutes then serve with cream or ice cream.